(Text from Wiki Source)
This hymn originated in a 14th century Latin carol from Bohemia:
Surrexit Christus hodie
Humano pro solamine.
Mortem qui passus pridie
Miserrimo pro homine.
Mulieres ad tumulum
Dona ferunt aromatum,
Album cernentes angelum
Mulieres o tremulae,
In Galilaeam pergite,
Discipulis hoc dicite,
Quod surrexit rex gloriae.
Ubique praecedet suos,
Quos dilexit, discipulos.
Sit benedictus hodie,
Qui nos redemit sanguine.
Ergo cum dulci melodo
Laudetur sancta trinitas,
Deo dicamus gratias.
The first English translation appeared in Lyra Davidica, published in London in 1708:
Jesus Christ is risen to-day, Halle-halle-lujah.
Our triumphant Holy day,
Who so lately on the Cross
Suffered to redeem our loss.
Haste ye females from your fright,
Take to Galilee your flight;
To his sad disciples say,
Jesus Christ is risen to-day.
In our Paschal joy and feast
Let the Lord of life be blest;
Let the Holy Trine be praised,
And thankful hearts to heaven be raised.
A later translation of the first verse, together with completely rewritten second and third verses, appeared in John Arnold’s Compleat Psalmodist, 1749
Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia!
Our triumphant holy day, Alleluia!
Who did once upon the cross, Alleluia!
Suffer to redeem our loss. Alleluia!
Hymns of praise then let us sing, Alleluia!
Unto Christ, our heavenly King, Alleluia!
Who endured the cross and grave, Alleluia!
Sinners to redeem and save. Alleluia!
But the pains which he endured, Alleluia!
our salvation have procured, Alleluia!
now above the sky he’s King, Alleluia!
where the angels ever sing. Alleluia!
johnhenrycn on Italy shuts down Masses, but l… RemnantchildofMary on Italy shuts down Masses, but l… Lawrence Morra on Pope Francis, Cardinal Kasper… Pareng Bob on Pope Francis, Cardinal Kasper… Mary Salmond on Pope Francis, Cardinal Kasper… johnhenrycn on L’Arche founder Jean Van… johnhenrycn on L’Arche founder Jean Van… mmvc on L’Arche founder Jean Van… John Langa on Australia: Mandatory confessio… johnbennett2 on L’Arche founder Jean Van… Lawrence Morra on The Faithful Are Not Moro… johnhenrycn on Australia: Mandatory confessio… johnhenrycn on L’Arche founder Jean Van… johnhenrycn on L’Arche founder Jean Van… Sister Solana Dcunha on A Woman’s Instinctive Wish Is…
Papal Prayer Intentions 2017
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Italy shuts down Masses, but leaves everything else going February 26, 2020
- Ash Wednesday February 26, 2020
- Pope Francis, Cardinal Kasper and Female Ministry February 26, 2020
- The Holy Face of Jesus February 25, 2020
- These 40 Days: Gearing Up for a Life-Changing Lent February 24, 2020
- L’Arche founder Jean Vanier sexually abused women – internal report February 23, 2020
- Reflection for the 7th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Cycle A February 23, 2020
- The Faithful Are Not Morons February 22, 2020
- Confessions of a Former Freemason Officer, Converted to Catholicism February 21, 2020
- The Wayward Shepherd February 20, 2020
- Elderly Chinese Bishop Recovers from Coronavirus February 19, 2020
- Australia: Mandatory confession reporting laws come into effect February 18, 2020
- The Pope’s Slippery ‘Synodal’ Way February 17, 2020
- Reflection for the 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time-Cycle A February 16, 2020
- Fr Murray and Dr Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Cardinal Zen about China February 15, 2020
- Valentine, Saint and Martyr February 14, 2020
- St Meletius of Antioch February 13, 2020
- BREAKING: Pope releases new exhortation on Amazon Synod February 12, 2020
- Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us! February 11, 2020
- Vatican bishop defends giving Communion to pro-abortion Argentine president and mistress February 10, 2020
Search posts by keywords
- 3,818,370 hits since 4th July 2010
- "MEMENTO, HOMO, QUIA PULVIS ES”
- Pope Francis, Cardinal Kasper and Female Ministry
- Italy shuts down Masses, but leaves everything else going
- Ash Wednesday
- Reflection for the First Sunday of Lent.
- Hermit of Loreto's 1980s Premonition About President Trump
- 'Sculpting' Our Souls During Lent: 3 Quotes from Ven. Fulton Sheen
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- Shrove Tuesday, Feast of the Holy Face of Jesus
- "Attende Domine" - A Hymn for Lent