|From The Moynihan letters by Dr Robert Moynihan:
Sunday, December 15, 2013
Pope Francis Makes Confession a Priority
Francis has personally directed his closest collaborators, the cardinals and archbishops of the Roman Curia, to take turns hearing daily confession in the Church of Santo Spirito in Sassia, an ordinary Roman church outside of the Vatican. (It is just down the street from the Vatican, at via dei Penitenzieri #12, next to the Santo Spirito hospital and across the street from the Curia Generalizia of the Jesuit Order.)
And it is even possible that the Pope himself, at a time of his choosing, will go to this church, in coming weeks, at 3 p.m., to hear confessions. (Pope Francis made a brief, unannounced stop at this church in April, as I reported at the time. Link)
Santo Spirito in Sassia is the church in Rome dedicated specifically to the Divine Mercy devotion announced by St. Faustina Kowalska 80 years ago and promoted by Pope John Paul II, who died on the Feast of Divine Mercy. The center of the devotion is the belief that God’s mercy, God’s love for sinful human beings even though they are undeserving of that love, is always available, no matter what sins may have been committed.
This initiative expands an already existing one.
For several weeks, the man who has become known as “the Pope’s arms and hands” in Rome, because he works bringing the Pope’s help to the poor of the city, Archbishop Konrad Krajewski, hears confessions daily at 3 p.m. in the first confessional on the right as one enters the church.
From tomorrow on, the plan is not only for Krajewski (“the Pope’s hands”) to hear confessions in that confessional, but also for another curial official (“the Pope’s chief collaborators”) to hear confessions in the confessional on the other side, to the left as one enters the church.
The announcement of the Pope’s initiative was made this evening after the 6:30 p.m. Sunday Mass by the parish priest, Father Jozef Bart, who is from Poland.
“We had been planning for this initiative for some time,” don Jozef told me after Mass. “It had been planned to begin in January. But this week the word came down that the Pope wished to begin immediately.”
“And do you think the Pope himself may actually come to hear confession?” I asked.
“He may,” the priest said. “But we don’t know when.”
“Why is he doing this?” I asked.
“Because he wishes to emphasize the importance of confession, and of God’s great goodness in forgiving human sin.”
The new initiative began already on Friday afternoon at 3 p.m., when Archbishop Beniamino Stella, the newly-named head of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Clergy, the office with oversight authority over all of the priests in the Church worldwide, entered one of the confessionals near the front of the church and began to hear confessions from ordinary Romans and pilgrims.
The initiative is scheduled to continue this week, though the list of which cardinal or archbishop will be present which day is not yet finalized, don Jozef said.
It is an old Church tradition that one of the best ways to prepare for Christmas, for the coming of the Christchild into the world, is to go to confession.
And so, implicitly, what Pope Francis is asking of all Catholics during these final days of Advent, is to go to confession…
Let’s follow Pope Francis’s guidance in this matter, in these last days before Christmas.
carlos10101 on Abp. Viganò warns US bishops a… kathleen on Pope Francis names Jeffrey Sac… FRANCE MEDIAS NUMERI… on The Vatican’s ‘Greatest Suppor… Pope Francis appoint… on The Vatican’s ‘Greatest Suppor… Pope Francis appoint… on The Vatican’s ‘Greatest Suppor… Máire Íde on Irish Quandary: Who to Blame W… joel3131 on John Paul II’s mother chose li… Nicholas Hinde on John Paul II’s mother chose li… Kathleen Asa on British funeral director speak… Mary Salmond on Pope Francis demands global ty… Mary Salmond on British funeral director speak… kathleen on David Amess, Catholic family m… Mary Salmond on Planned Parenthood whistleblow… E M Lowden on David Amess, Catholic family m… Rita Madigan on Refusing the Covid jab is a st…
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Pope Francis names Jeffrey Sachs to pontifical academy October 27, 2021
- Abp. Viganò warns US bishops about COVID jab October 27, 2021
- Irish Quandary: Who to Blame When Everyone’s Vaxxed? October 25, 2021
- Jim Caviezel: Every man dies. Not every man truly lives. October 25, 2021
- John Paul II’s mother chose life after her doctor advised an abortion October 24, 2021
- Sunday Readings and Reflections October 24, 2021
- Pope Francis demands global tyranny and offers his services as chaplain to our oligarchy October 23, 2021
- Convert Bishop counters Protestant critics October 22, 2021
- British funeral director speaks out about Covid deaths, jabs and more October 22, 2021
- 21 Oct – St Gaspar del Bufalo – “Il martello dei Carbonari… Hammer of Freemasons” October 22, 2021
- Planned Parenthood whistleblower turned Hispanic pro-life leader details clinic corruption, intimidation October 20, 2021
- COPS ATTACK ‘NO VAX’ DOCKERS PRAYING ROSARY October 20, 2021
- Refusing the Covid jab is a stand for freedom, resisting a totalitarian state October 19, 2021
- Archbishop Viganò warns of coming ecological dictatorship October 18, 2021
- Sunday Readings and Reflections October 16, 2021
- Pfizer whistleblower says ‘the Lord’ helped her expose COVID vaccine cover-up October 16, 2021
- Saint Teresa of Avila, the Big Flower October 15, 2021
- David Amess, Catholic family man, MP and pro-life champion, stabbed to death at his constituency surgery. RIP. October 15, 2021
- Unearthed video shows Fauci, health experts discussing ‘China’ virus, global vaccines weeks before COVID October 14, 2021
- St. Joseph’s Celestial Appearance at Fatima October 14, 2021
Search posts by keywords
- 4,386,546 hits since 4th July 2010
- Jim Caviezel: Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.
- Irish Quandary: Who to Blame When Everyone’s Vaxxed?
- Abp. Viganò warns US bishops about COVID jab
- The Protestant Boy and the Virgin Mary
- The Vatican’s ‘Greatest Supporter’ and Collaborator
- Pope Francis names Jeffrey Sachs to pontifical academy
- Our Lady of La Salette: A Fearful Warning and a Prophecy
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Marriage Crucifix
- Pope Francis demands global tyranny and offers his services as chaplain to our oligarchy