|The name Memorare, meaning “remember,” is the first word in the Latin version of the prayer. There are various English translations of the prayer but the following one is the most common:|
“Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.”
As you can see, the prayer is one of confidence in the power of Mary’s intercession. It is only right to have complete trust in Our Lady. After all, she is the Mother, Daughter and Spouse of God, and God will answer her every request.
The one who says this prayer comes before Our Lady with humility admits that he is “sinful and sorrowful,” and, trusting in her mercy, begs her to grant him favors. It is a good idea when saying the Memorare to have a particular petition in mind.
It is believed that Saint Bernard of Clairvaux composed the Memorare. But we also know that Father Claude Bernard, a French priest, made this prayer famous in the seventeenth century. His devotion to the Virgin Mary under the title “Comforter of the Afflicted” moved him to promote the recourse to Mary’s intercession among the poor as well as prisoners facing execution.
Trusting his charges into the care and intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Father Bernard used the Memorare extensively in his work of evangelization, with great effect.
Many a criminal was reconciled to God through his efforts. At one time he had more than 200,000 leaflets printed with the Memorare in various languages so he could distribute them wherever he felt they would do some good.
Part of the reason Father Claude Bernard held the Memorare in such high regard was that he thought he had been miraculously cured by saying it when he was gravely ill. After saying the prayer, he started to get well again. Feeling himself unworthy of such a miracle, he attributed his cure to natural causes. But then an Augustinian Brother told him that Our Lady had appeared to him and had told him that Father Bernard’s cure was due to her intercession. Farther Bernard then begged God’s forgiveness for his lack of faith and gratitude.
Brother Burrito on I wish more Catholics in Scotl… Robert John Bennett on Prayer For Enemies – Par… Lawrence Morra on Prayer For Enemies – Par… Gareth Thomas on The Real Meaning of the Papal… The Raven on The Real Meaning of the Papal… kathleen on The Real Meaning of the Papal… Gareth Thomas on The Real Meaning of the Papal… Mary Anne on The unborn babies used for vac… Nelson on Prayer For Enemies – Par… weathercycles on The unborn babies used for vac… weathercycles on Prayer For Enemies – Par… freemattpodcast on The unborn babies used for vac… mmvc on The Real Meaning of the Papal… johnhenrycn on The Real Meaning of the Papal… Alex Antunes on NIGERIA: ‘No evil will take aw…
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- True and False Conspiracies in History. In memory of Father Augustin Barruel (1741-1820) January 15, 2021
- Prayer For Enemies – Part III January 14, 2021
- The unborn babies used for vaccine development were alive at tissue extraction January 14, 2021
- NIGERIA: ‘No evil will take away our faith’ January 14, 2021
- The Dictatorship of Fear and the Coming Persecution January 13, 2021
- Father Faber, an Outstanding 19th Century Priest, Poet, Author and Theologian with a Special Devotion to Our Lady January 13, 2021
- IMPEACHING TRUMP: Pelosi’s Game, America’s Shame January 12, 2021
- Earthquake: Francis decrees women can occupy the former Minor Orders of Lector and Acolyte! January 11, 2021
- Lessons from the Holy Family for us today January 11, 2021
- [VIDEO] 2021 in the Light of the Fatima Message and Right Reason January 10, 2021
- Sunday Readings and Reflections January 10, 2021
- Media Accuse Cardinal of NOT Preaching Fear, Fire and Brimstone About Coronavirus January 9, 2021
- I wish more Catholics in Scotland loved Mass more than they fear (a tiny risk of) death January 8, 2021
- Trump Rally Supporters Storm U.S. Capitol Building. Infiltrated Antifa Supporters Among Violent Protesters. January 7, 2021
- From the Sermons of the Curé d’Ars, St. Jean Marie Vianney January 6, 2021
- Steve Bannon’s ‘War Room’ interview with Abp. Viganò January 5, 2021
- Benedict XVI Warned Us Years Ago of Dangers Ahead January 4, 2021
- “In nomine Jesu omne genu flectatur” January 4, 2021
- Sunday Readings and Reflections January 3, 2021
- 2021 in the light of the Fatima Message and Right Reason January 2, 2021
Search posts by keywords
- 4,168,949 hits since 4th July 2010
- The unborn babies used for vaccine development were alive at tissue extraction
- The Dictatorship of Fear and the Coming Persecution
- Open letter sent to President Donald Trump by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò
- Prayer For Enemies - Part III
- Prophecies By Visionaries Who Foresaw Today's Crisis in the Church
- NIGERIA: ‘No evil will take away our faith’
- Our Lady of La Salette: A Fearful Warning and a Prophecy
- Steve Bannon’s ‘War Room’ interview with Abp. Viganò
- The Real Meaning of the Papal Visit
- Hermit of Loreto's 1980s Premonition About President Trump