The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
Mary Salmond on The Pope marries a couple on t… Mary Salmond on Why Is The Professional Left E… kathleen on Why Is The Professional Left E… JabbaPapa on Why Is The Professional Left E… JabbaPapa on Why Is The Professional Left E… JabbaPapa on The Pope marries a couple on t… Toad on Why Is The Professional Left E… JabbaPapa on The Pope marries a couple on t… mmvc on The Pope marries a couple on t… DonnaLiane on Burying Benedict DonnaLiane on Burying Benedict DonnaLiane on Burying Benedict johnhenrycn on Be Courageous! Be Openly … joe on Without Christ And The Catholi… johnhenrycn on Be Courageous! Be Openly …
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Why Is The Professional Left Enamoured With Abortion?
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- Feast Day of Our Lady of Lourdes - 11th February
- Marriage Crucifix
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
- 10 Quotes That Will Change the Way You Attend Holy Mass
- Hermit of Loreto's 1980s Premonition About President Trump
- Picture of the Mass Rock of Penal Law Ireland
- Child Saints as Role Models for Children
Papal Prayer Intentions 2017
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Why Is The Professional Left Enamoured With Abortion? January 19, 2018
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm. January 19, 2018
- THE IMMUTABLE TRUTHS ABOUT SACRAMENTAL MARRIAGE. January 18, 2018
- There Are More Than 215 Million Persecuted Christians Worldwide January 17, 2018
- Is the Face of the Migrant the Face of Jesus? January 16, 2018
- A Church in Crisis – Bishop Athanasius Schneider speaks January 15, 2018
- Curia Stories. The Comeback of the Cardinal Secretary of State January 15, 2018
- The Forces of Evil Cloaked as Social Progress – a short homily January 14, 2018
- Reflection for the 2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time January 14, 2018
- Scandalous Pontifical Honour January 13, 2018
- Rosary Crusade on the feast of the Purification and Presentation on 2nd February 2018 January 13, 2018
- Changing Practice by altering Perception while leaving Doctrine untouched January 12, 2018
- Teaching the Real Presence Without Words January 11, 2018
- Devotion of the Popes to St Philomena January 10, 2018
- Cardinal Caffarra “Suffered Terribly” Because of Pope Francis January 10, 2018
- ‘Not in our name’ – Tuam survivors reject calls for repeal of pro-life law January 10, 2018
- New Academy for Life member uses Amoris to say some circumstances ‘require’ contraception January 9, 2018
- It’s The End of the Word as We Know It January 8, 2018
- Reflection for the Solemnity of the Epiphany January 7, 2018
- The Great Solemnity of the Epiphany. January 6, 2018
Search posts by keywords
- 2,847,561 hits since 4th July 2010