The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
- With Burning Concern: We Accuse Pope Francis
- With Burning Concern: We accuse Pope Francis (Part 2)
- With Burning Concern: We Accuse Pope Francis (Part 3)
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- Sancte Pio, Ora pro nobis!
- Child Saints as Role Models for Children
- Marriage Crucifix
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
- When England returns to Walsingham, Our Lady will return to England.
- On the verge of a deal with the SSPX?
Papal Prayer Intentions 2016
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Our Lady of Walsingham September 24, 2016
- With Burning Concern: We Accuse Pope Francis (Part 3) September 24, 2016
- Sancte Pio, Ora pro nobis! September 23, 2016
- With Burning Concern: We accuse Pope Francis (Part 2) September 23, 2016
- With Burning Concern: We Accuse Pope Francis September 22, 2016
- Communist Infiltration of the Catholic Church September 22, 2016
- The Calling of Saint Matthew September 21, 2016
- Sts. Andrew Kim, Paul Chong and Companions September 20, 2016
- 19 Sept – NAPLES: The blood of St Januarius liquefied! September 19, 2016
- Adieu Padre Amorth September 18, 2016
- 15 Cloisters Dissolved: What Remains of the Order of the Franciscans of the Immaculate? September 18, 2016
- US presidential election offers the worst choice in 50 years, says archbishop September 17, 2016
- Benedict XVI: last Pope of old era or first of the next? September 16, 2016
- Our Lady of Sorrows September 15, 2016
- O Crux, ave, spes unica! (Hail, O Cross, sole hope!) September 14, 2016
- Priestly Obedience: (“obedience to the bishops and the Pope have limitations. Not so our obedience to God.”) September 14, 2016
- Saint John Chrysostom – September 13 September 13, 2016
- The Saints on the Power of the Holy Name of Mary September 12, 2016
- Pope: ‘No other interpretation’ of Amoris Laetitia than allowing communion for divorced and remarried September 12, 2016
- Measuring Modernism: From Pius X to Mother Teresa September 11, 2016
Search posts by keywords
- 2,227,257 hits since 4th July 2010