The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
johnhenrycn on Of scapulars, devotions and Ru… johnhenrycn on Of scapulars, devotions and Ru… Michael on Don’t mess with “g… Michael on Don’t mess with “g… toad on Don’t mess with “g… Robert John Bennett on Of scapulars, devotions and Ru… Robert on Shocking Desecration GC on Don’t mess with “g… GC on Don’t mess with “g… Michael on Shocking Desecration Michael on Don’t mess with “g… Michael on Shocking Desecration kathleen on Pray for Mother Angelica Robert on Shocking Desecration kathleen on Shocking Desecration
- Shocking Desecration
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters
- Don't mess with "gay marriage"
- Seven Reasons Why the Charismatic Renewal Does Not Foster Deep Spirituality
- Pray for Mother Angelica
- "The Twelve Days of Christmas" carol - the hidden meaning.
- 10 Quotes That Will Change the Way You Attend Holy Mass
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
- Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat
Papal Prayer Intentions 2015
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters November 26, 2015
- Shocking Desecration November 25, 2015
- Pray for Mother Angelica November 25, 2015
- Don’t mess with “gay marriage” November 24, 2015
- Archbishop Gänswein praises Cardinal Sarah for his prophetic witness November 23, 2015
- Francis, a Pope left alone at the command? November 23, 2015
- The astonishing prayer of Fatima November 23, 2015
- Lectio Divina: 34th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Solemnity of Christ the King, Year B November 21, 2015
- The Need for Catholic Manhood in a World of Disruption and Disorder November 21, 2015
- The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary November 21, 2015
- Only Christianity can rescue Europe November 20, 2015
- Feed my sheep November 19, 2015
- Marital Imagery November 18, 2015
- Traditional Catholicism and the Charismatic Movement November 17, 2015
- Ven. Archbishop Sheen’s Prophetic warning of 50 years ago: Mary and the Moslems; The Significance of Fatima November 17, 2015
- Pope Francis stirs debate on Lutheran spouses of Catholics receiving Communion November 16, 2015
- Warnings The West Refused To Heed November 16, 2015
- Lectio Divina: 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B November 15, 2015
- Islamic State (IS) strikes at ‘Eldest Daughter of the Church’ (France) November 14, 2015
- Novena to Christ the King November 13, 2015
Search posts by keywords
- 1,966,989 hits since 4th July 2010