The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
- Actions speak louder than words when it comes to abortion
- Church Crisis in light of the Fatima secret
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
- Biblical Reflection for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi: E.F. External Solemnity of Corpus Christi.
- One is Simon, the other is Peter?
- Marriage Crucifix
- A Homily for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi
- Living for Likes: The Danger of Living to Please Others
- Off Topic Forum
Papal Prayer Intentions 2016
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Living for Likes: The Danger of Living to Please Others May 28, 2016
- Church Crisis in light of the Fatima secret May 27, 2016
- Actions speak louder than words when it comes to abortion May 27, 2016
- A Homily for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi May 26, 2016
- Do You Want To Be “Truly” Happy? Discover the “One Thing Necessary” May 25, 2016
- Venerable Fulton Sheen on the Devil and the Diabolic May 25, 2016
- 24th May, Feast of Our Lady Help of Christians May 24, 2016
- One is Simon, the other is Peter? May 24, 2016
- 50 years ago today David Steel MP decided to introduce a Bill to legalise abortion in Britain May 23, 2016
- The Blessed Virgin is so good! May 23, 2016
- To the Most High Trinity May 22, 2016
- A Comedy Of Manners May 21, 2016
- Regret May 21, 2016
- Trinity Sunday: Shared glory, Majesty’s gift May 21, 2016
- Catholics have filled the internet with venom and vitriol, says Vatican media advisor May 20, 2016
- They’re Messing With My Heart May 20, 2016
- Cardinal Burke: Pope’s exhortation must be read ‘critically’ May 19, 2016
- Ember Wednesday after Pentecost May 18, 2016
- Pope Francis interviewed by La Croix May 18, 2016
- Death-Watch Beetling May 17, 2016
Search posts by keywords
- 2,124,791 hits since 4th July 2010