The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
- Ireland ‘defied God’ by voting for gay ‘marriage’: Cardinal Burke
- The Bergoglio Effect in Ireland: "The Mass has ended"
- Biblical Reflection for Trinity Sunday
- Chapel Veils: a re-emerging tradition
- 7 Things You Must Know about St. Benedict’s Medal
- Is It Time to Hunker Down?
- Marriage Crucifix
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
Papal Prayer Intentions 2015
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- The Bergoglio Effect in Ireland: “The Mass has ended” May 30, 2015
- 7 Things You Must Know about St. Benedict’s Medal May 29, 2015
- The Mystical Union of Christ and His Church May 29, 2015
- Ireland ‘defied God’ by voting for gay ‘marriage’: Cardinal Burke May 29, 2015
- Chapel Veils: a re-emerging tradition May 28, 2015
- Papal Theologian Speaks May 27, 2015
- Is It Time to Hunker Down? May 26, 2015
- Catholicism Is Cool May 25, 2015
- The Irish referendum: personal implications for Catholics’ public actions May 24, 2015
- The Pope’s homily on Pentecost Sunday May 24, 2015
- Lectio Divina: Pentecost, Year B May 24, 2015
- A well-rehearsed media pantomime May 23, 2015
- Lazarus-like he rises, to rant May 22, 2015
- The Plan to Destroy Civilization May 22, 2015
- School of the Annunciation signs partnership agreement with Franciscan University Steubenville, USA. May 21, 2015
- What Is the Deepest Root of Sin? It’s Not in Your Wallet and It’s Much Closer Than You Might Think May 21, 2015
- Ireland, Do the Right Thing This Week and Vote Against Same-Sex “Marriage”. Voting “Yes” would be a betrayal of Our Lord’s mission to save us from sin May 20, 2015
- Thought for the Day May 20, 2015
- Kenyan Bishop on international indifference after massacre of 150 Christian students May 19, 2015
- Fare Well May 19, 2015
Search posts by keywords
- 1,770,452 hits since 4th July 2010