The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
Brother Burrito on Schhh… you know who Magdalene on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who johnhenrycn on Schhh… you know who johnhenrycn on Schhh… you know who johnhenrycn on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who Bernadette on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who sandygrounder on Schhh… you know who Bernadette on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who JabbaPapa on Schhh… you know who
- Schhh... you know who
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- About this blog - Contact us
- The Rise of Priests Who Encourage Sins Against Faith
- The Trial of St. Thomas More: 480 Years ago today.
- Marriage Crucifix
- The Story of Garabandal - fifty years later
- Is this what is coming?
- Use anger as a weapon against evil
- Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat
Papal Prayer Intentions 2015
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
Catholicism Pure and Simple
- Schhh… you know who July 4, 2015
- Use anger as a weapon against evil July 3, 2015
- The Rise of Priests Who Encourage Sins Against Faith July 2, 2015
- Is this what is coming? July 2, 2015
- SSPX Bp. Fellay: “we are on the eve of important events that we cannot yet define” July 1, 2015
- The Trial of St. Thomas More: 480 Years ago today. July 1, 2015
- 6 Things Jimmy Akin Won’t Tell You about the Pope’s New Encyclical July 1, 2015
- Our Lady of La Salette June 30, 2015
- Disco Inferno June 29, 2015
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help June 27, 2015
- Supreme Court Decision On Marriage “A Tragic Error” Says President Of Catholic Bishops’ Conference June 26, 2015
- Passionately Loving the World – (Excerpts from a homily by St Josemaría Escriva) June 26, 2015
- Is Hell empty? (Discussion with Dr. Ralph Martin) June 26, 2015
- No Compromise! June 25, 2015
- The Naming of John the Baptist June 24, 2015
- Presentation of the Instrumentum Laboris of the Synod June 24, 2015
- Laudato Si Meme June 23, 2015
- EXCLUSIVE Cardinal Walter Kasper Interview with Raymond Arroyo June 23, 2015
- No air conditioning in heaven June 23, 2015
- Two Final Prayers of St Thomas More June 23, 2015
Search posts by keywords
- 1,810,903 hits since 4th July 2010