The idea of an Olympic truce traces its origins back to the 8th century BC when a literal ‘laying down of arms’ was observed to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to and from the Games in ancient Greece. Over recent years that ideal has been revived in order to promote peace and greater international cooperation in our contemporary world.
For the London 2012 Olympic Games, Christian Churches in the UK have also picked up the theme of 100 days of peace around this major sporting event, encouraging communities to come up with new ways of promoting peace in homes and schools, parishes and dioceses, in the hopes of leaving a lasting legacy for the nation, long after the Olympic torch has moved on.
100 days of peace will be launched at an all night prayer vigil in London’s central Trafalgar Square on Friday June 8th by Church leaders including Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster and the Anglican Bishop of London Richard Chartres. Among the projects designed to support this push for peace is a publication entitled ‘Your Journey to Peace’, produced by Redemptorist Publications, in partnership with ‘Missio’ and the faith based ‘More Than Gold’ Olympic organisation.
Robert on Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Sa… toadspittle on Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Sa… toadspittle on Lenten Mission kathleen on Lenten Mission kathleen on Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Sa… Robert John Bennett on Praying, fasting and pleasing… toadspittle on “Christian is my Name, a… toadspittle on Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Sa… toadspittle on Shakespeare’s Secret Fai… johnhenrycn on Hail Tradition! johnhenrycn on Shakespeare’s Secret Fai… Robert on Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Sa… toadspittle on Shakespeare’s Secret Fai… piliersdelaterre on Shakespeare’s Secret Fai… toadspittle on Hail Tradition!
- Feast Day of Our Lady of Lourdes - 11th February
- Why Women Wear Mantillas In Church
- Praying, fasting and pleasing ourselves
- Shakespeare's Secret Faith
- Blessed Jose Luis Sanchez del Rio
- Feast of St. Scholastica - Sister of St. Benedict.
- Ash Wednesday
- Lenten Mission
- Prayer Intentions
- Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Same-Sex Legislation Violates Italy’s Constitution
Papal Prayer Intentions 2016
Join the Rosary for Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Ash Wednesday February 10, 2016
- Praying, fasting and pleasing ourselves February 10, 2016
- Lenten Mission February 9, 2016
- Hail Tradition! February 8, 2016
- “Christian is my Name, and Catholic is my Surname” – Pope Benedict XV February 8, 2016
- Yvonne-Aimée de Jésus February 7, 2016
- Day of Great Reparation February 6, 2016
- Pope Video 2: Care for [God’s] Creation February 6, 2016
- Pure In Heart – Ireland February 5, 2016
- Quote for the day from Pope St. Pius X February 4, 2016
- Cardinal De Paolis: Italian Same-Sex Legislation Violates Italy’s Constitution February 3, 2016
- Candlemas: some spiritual instruction February 2, 2016
- Interstellar – the movie February 1, 2016
- EXCLUSIVE: BISHOP ATHANASIUS SCHNEIDER INTERVIEW WITH RORATE CAELI February 1, 2016
- Surface ecumenism vs. lasting ecumenism January 31, 2016
- What Don Bosco teaches us about the power of dreams January 31, 2016
- Rome to Dignify Luther’s Revolt through Joint Commemoration January 30, 2016
- The Traditional Latin Mass: Becoming Awake to Holy Mystery January 29, 2016
- Putin: Western Civilization “going extinct” – low birth rates & political correctness January 29, 2016
- Thomas Aquinas: Child of Christ January 28, 2016
Search posts by keywords
- 2,027,424 hits since 4th July 2010